Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wrapped Right Around His Finger.

What kind of parent are you?  Are you the type to believe your child over everything else or the parent who knows your child well enough to know they are probably twisting the truth?

Josh, though not officially a parent (but close enough), is the type to always think Corbin is not telling us the truth.  He sees Corbin's stubborn streak as what it really is.

I, on the other hand, am wrapped right around my kids' fingers, and I think they know it.  If Corbin tells me it was someone else's fault, I'm all over it.

I think we need to meet in the middle somewhere.

Yesterday after work I asked Corbin how his day went.  He paused, thought, and replied, "It was kinda OK".

I stopped and said, "Spill."

Corbin started, "Well Ms. *** is a meanie!  She doesn't even give me a chance to do it before she writes my name on the board!!"

It took some prodding to get the actual story out but from what I can understand, this is what happened:

Class assignment was to do a poem.
Corbin copied Ms. *** poem rather than do his own.
Ms. *** told him, "No Corbin, that's not what you do.  You have to make your own."
Corbin sits and processes and can't think of what to do.
Ms. *** writes his name on the board because he is not cooperating and doing the task.
(In his class your name goes on the board in the green section for a warning, then yellow you miss part of recess, and then red a note goes home to parent- Corbin has been in the green a couple of times- never in the yellow and red thus far.)

So, Josh would look at this situation and say, "Corbin was just being his stubborn self and not trying."  I would look at this situation and say, "Corbin wasn't allowed the proper processing time he needs when doing new things."

And then Josh & I will argue until I say, "Hey, I don't want to hear anymore about it!".  End of conversation.

I did help Corbin make a poem using the format she wanted last night, so if it comes up again today maybe he'll get it.  Oh and I did talk to Corbin about respecting his teachers and not calling them "meanies", even if it is just to me (and even if I want to agree with him).

5 comments:

Cgeel said...

I'm with Josh. Corbin was mad becuase he couldn't come up with something on his own so he copied. RELAX Heather, I'm just kidding. Who knows what was going through his head at the time? Now about the RED, I've been there a few times with my own so I could probably give you some advice on that one but Josh should be an EXPERT. HEHE

Heather said...

Haha. I'll probably faint if Corbin ever gets in the RED- I can't deal with that stuff ;) And I have never said Josh is wrong, I am just stubborn (where does Corbin get it from?) and don't want to look at others opinions at times ;) Glad to see you posting SISTER ;)

Colleen said...

I love when kids write poems, but it can be intimidating. I just read the previous post and see Corbin has the first line for a poem - "I feel like a king" There's a simile right there!

Christina said...

At least you got an explanation from him! Aurora just acts like she can't remember! Being a control freak as I am, it is hard for me to not know every detail of their school day!

jessica said...

It is so hard to know who is "right" when it comes to our kids and teachers. I think the best thing we can do is just keep listening to them and honoring their feelings.