Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Break in the Clouds

In the midst of clouds, the appearance of the sun, no matter how brief, is so treasured, isn't it?

That's me being metaphorical.

Today Brian and I were hanging outside the clinic while Corbin was in speech.  We've had a lot of trouble with transitions, tantrums, and behaviors lately.

Yet outside, he was happy.

He was sitting on a rock and he started waving his fingers in front of him.  It wasn't the typical flapping that I see, but it seemed to have a real purpose.  I asked him if he was playing the piano, as that is what it looked like.  He looked at me and smiled and said, "No, 'puter".  Oh you are playing the computer!!

He laughed and smiled when I understood what he was doing.  I always think it is so amazing when I'm able to converse to him, but imagine what it must feel like to him when someone understands him!

A few seconds later he started to pretend to eat something out of thin air.  I asked him what he was eating.  He responded, "Chips!".  I asked if I could have some and he fed me some invisible chips.

Un-freakin'-believable!

He then spied some blackberry bushes.  He started picking them and eating them.  Amazing in it's own as he has never ate them before when I have offered them to him.

While picking the berries he scratched himself on the bushes.  He held his hand up to me and asked, "Are you okay?".  I replied, "I'm okay.  Are you okay?".  He pointed to his hand and said, "Look!  Abadabadaba  boo-boo!".  I kissed the scratches and asked again, "Are you okay?".  He replied, "Are you okay?  See!  Boo-boo!".

All of this- pretend play, smiles, reciprocal conversation, eating new foods- in the span of about twenty minutes.

We're home now and he's already had three crying spells for reasons unbeknownst to me, but I'm still flying high on those twenty minutes.  I love those glimpses of what my boy's true abilities are.

No comments: