Monday, September 27, 2010

Dr. Neurology


Corbin seems to have this wonderful ability to explain to me how his brain works. I'm thinking about signing him up to teach a neurology class at our community school. I certainly can understand it much better when he tells me than I ever did in my A&P 2 class.

When he was just five years old and still struggling a bit with word retrieval he sat me down and said, "Mom, the reason I can't find my words is because my brain is full of drawers and I have to search through all of them to find the right words".

So many times he'll express to me how his sensory system works, okay maybe not the science behind it, but he's extremely open with me about things that bother him. He is sensitive to noise and sometimes he'll come home from school just in a terrible mood and when I inquire he'll say, "I think it's because it was so loud that my ears almost broke today."

Today I was telling him something and he asked me if I would remind him again. I asked why I needed to remind him and he said, "I learn so much everyday and it's like all these bubbles in my brain and if they get too squished sometimes they will pop and explode right out of my brain!"

So isn't that much easier to understand than neurons and synapses? He's got a promising future.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Now those are terms that I can understand. Now if he could just get our other kids to explain things like that. I would love for Audrey to be able to explain in those kinds of terms why something is bothering her, and I think it would help her too.

Christina said...

He is such a smart, intuitive kid! I bet he's gonna be a neurosurgeon!

Lynn said...

Now those are terms that I can understand. Now if he could just get our other kids to explain things like that. I would love for Audrey to be able to explain in those kinds of terms why something is bothering her, and I think it would help her too.