Saturday, January 9, 2010

Alternative Treatment for Colds


I haven't used traditional over-the-counter medications for the boys in quite a while now and last winter was actually the first winter that I didn't say, "Yeah, he has a perpetual runny nose from November until April".

As this season has approached us I have done more research to share with other individuals in my life about why I choose to do the things I do, no matter how strange they think I am.

I thought I'd share some of the things I have learned.

* Though many people start using OTC medications for their infants, in 2008 the FDA actually changed their guidelines and decided no child under the age of 4 should recieve OTC meds, and most experts push that age to 6 and urge for it to be used with great caution all the way up to age 12.

* Most of the inactive ingredients, such as preservatives and dyes, can cause allergic reactions, such as rash, exacerbation of asthma symptoms, hyperactivity, upset stomach, & diarrhea.

* When using OTC medications you are most likely treating symptoms your child doesn't even have.

* Also remember colds are not viral and therefore they shouldn't be treated with antibiotics. When antibiotics are not used correctly, or overused, they can cause yeast overgrowth, resistant organisms, and immune suppresion.

* At the first sign of symptoms, start taking Vitamin C and zinc, which are known to boost immunity.

* Visit your local health store and you can find pain relievers and such without any added STUFF- just natural ingredients known to help with different symptoms.

For more information visit Autism One or Dr. Mercola's website, just type in the search "OTC Children's Medicine"

1 comment:

Christina said...

Great tips! They make gummi vitamins for kids with vitamin c, zinc, and echinacea...they have really helped us!