Wednesday, June 5, 2013

To Be Anonymous Or Not

I have enjoyed blogging thoroughly throughout the years.  I do find that it evolves and comes around full circle at times, the amount I need to do it.  It has been my lifeline at times as I craved to hear someone else tell me that they've been there, they've done that, and they've survived.

Early on I asked myself whether I should blog anonymously or not.  At the time I didn't feel like I had anything to hide.

Quite honestly I never thought I'd get to the point where I had to worry about Brian's peers finding my blog and teasing him about it.  Yes, there are always going to be those ignorant little brats that will make fun of him for no reason.  But as the whole his differences are huge enough that kids are tolerable.

Does that make sense?

In a way I think kids that have just little quirks, that can talk but can't figure out social communication, that can keep up cognitively (maybe even better than typical peers) have it harder as far as bullying situations go.

As Corbin gets older we continue to see his little quirks magnified.  At the same time I just keep seeing how much more amazing he is.  He keeps getting new diagnoses thrown at us and I want to blog about it so DAMN bad.  I want to blog about raising two kids with very different needs in one household.  I want to blog about how Corbin breaks the mold.  I want to blog about how, that even though they both have these diagnoses, how different I worry about their futures (and how I feel like I can spread some light on this whole Acceptance battle in the ASD world).

But he's one of those kids.  One of those kids that may actually read this blog in the future.  One of those kids whose peers will read it and not read it to understand but read it to pick on him.  And he's one of those kids that will care what his peers think of him, unlike my other son.

And I'm stuck.

Wishing that five years ago I started this anonymously.


2 comments:

Marybeth said...

Everything you say on here about your sons are spectacular. You have amazing children and they will be proud of you!

Melissa said...

Heather you have this parenting thing down :) You are an incredible advocate and parent for both boys. Sometimes all we can do at the end of the day is think "Holy Shit I survived another day"!!