Thursday, May 30, 2013

Behind Bathroom Doors

Brian has been getting into a lot of mischief in the bathroom lately.  It's a relatively new thing.

The first time I received a text from Colin shortly after we had all left the home for school and work.  It read something like,

"I hope you weren't a fan of your orange nail polish."

Yes, my child had dumped orange nail polish all over the sinks in the bathroom.  I was oblivious to it because up until then he never did anything in the bathroom other than use the toilet.  

The next time it was a bottle of foundation all over one of the bath mats.

This morning I was doing the morning routine and noticed the door was closed to the bathroom and there were giggles inside.

I ran in to find this.


He looked at me with a smile and said, "Swimming animals!"

Actually he didn't just say it, he yelled it at me with determination.  That is what he does when he has figured out a new phrase.  He yells it at us with this force as I imagine his connections in his brain are trying to make it ingrained so he doesn't lose it again.

And I stayed in the bathroom with him, supervising that the sink didn't overflow, but encouraging the pretend play and the new language.

I can't say no to messy play when I see that it's spurring new learning.  Splash away jungle animals!









2 comments:

Karla Traxel said...

Good job Brian! (Except for the nail polish) : )

Tara Koopman said...

We are having to learn to do the same with our son. I'm realizing more and more how little things that I think are huge actually are. What's some spilled water or a small mess to clean up? He's learning and having fun!