Monday, October 11, 2010

Medicine Time!


Last night I went to bed formulating this post I was going to write about the evils of administering supplements. I was going to say how much I hated them and hated "wasting" two hours of my life everyday to get Brian to take them. I was going to say that I was thinking about hiring a home health nurse just to come to give him his supplements in the morning and before bed.

See I've been following the Thoughtful House's recommendation to not "hide" the supplements. They told me to administer it like medicine (I use a medicine dropper with the supplements mixed with a little juice) and that eventually he would realize they make him feel better. He would also realize it was a hell of a lot easier to just take it then fight his Mama every day. At first I thought it made sense- he was already weary of everything I gave him because he thought I was hiding stuff in it. The last thing I needed was for him to self-limit his diet even more. Then I just plain thought they were crazy as I sat on him, covered his mouth, was spat on with supplements, listened to screaming, and sat through some tears (his and mine).

Then this morning I told Brian it was medicine time. And he didn't cry. He laughed actually. He wouldn't stand and take it- but he laid down on a blanket and giggled when I sat on top of him. He opened his mouth and he swallowed the supplements without me having to hold his mouth shut. He even licked his lips after. Then he jumped up smiling and gave everyone high-fives.

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

OH MY GOD AWESOME!!!!!!!! I TOTALLY GET HOW HUGE THAT IS. YOU CAN TELL BY THE CAPITAL LETTERS. THIS IS HUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Dani G said...

Lynn is right. THIS. IS. HUGE!!

I still hide most stuff. But... the bird refuses to take some things mixed in so I started calling it medicine and telling her she needs to take it. And you know what?? She does! She is even taking teaspoons of strawberry flavored fish oil. She calls it strawberry oil. Amazing.

Unknown said...

It really is so great :) I can't get over it- I'm sure at some point I'll take it for granted but for now every single "medicine time" is time for rejoicing :)

AND last night, he too, like LB, took a teaspoon of fish oil right out of the spoon :) Wow! I really never thought I'd see the day!

Christina said...

That is GREAT!!!!!! I'm sure it is such a relief!

Dani G said...

Lynn is right. THIS. IS. HUGE!!

I still hide most stuff. But... the bird refuses to take some things mixed in so I started calling it medicine and telling her she needs to take it. And you know what?? She does! She is even taking teaspoons of strawberry flavored fish oil. She calls it strawberry oil. Amazing.