Sunday, August 12, 2012

New Home, New Routines

With a new home, comes new routines.

And there is one that just has me laughing every time he does it.

Within the first few days of living here I noticed Brian was opening the front door every morning and yelling something out to our neighborhood.  He would then repeat this routine in the evening.

Just imagine that cute little red-headed boy standing in his underwear yelling with determination to all of our new neighbors who probably know nothing of autism.  I wasn't sure what it was he was yelling but it was definitely a similar phrase each time.

It wasn't until last week that I pieced together the whole routine.

In the mornings he likes to turn on all the lights.  He is usually the first one up and he comes down the stairs and turns on the lights in the foyer, kitchen, dining room, and livingroom.  Then he opens the door and yells.

In the evenings when it is just starting to get dark he likes to turn on all the lights.  He turns on the lights in the foyer, kitchen, dining room, and livingroom.  Then he opens the door and yells.

With this piece of the routine I was able to figure out his jargon.  I know I'm right because he always gets so happy when I repeat something he says to him correctly.

He's yelling, "Turn it on!!".

Because he can't just have all of our lights on, he needs everyone in the neighborhood to have theirs on too.

No comments: