Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Peek Into the Future

Yesterday as I was creeping along at the School Zone speed limit by the high school I noticed a young man walking alone from the direction of the school. As I was driving up behind him, I saw a pause in his steps. He did a tiny hop and flapped his hands. I started to drive past him and I saw him looking up towards the sky with a huge smile on his face, he flapped a bit more and then kept walking. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him repeat the routine.

That smile I saw on his face was Brian's. I could see my little Brian in this young man, walking home from school all by himself. I shouldn't make assumptions, but I'm pretty positive this teenager has autism. It made my heart grow in my chest, it made me hopeful for things to come. And I'm still in amazement of that smile and how similar it was to Brian's.

No comments: