Thursday, February 10, 2011

Velcro Baby

One of Brian's many nicknames is "Velcro Baby".   He's always been attached to me, from the very beginning.  A lot of people who really don't deal with autism on a day-to-day might think it's impossible for people with autism to have meaningful relationships, but that just isn't the case.  In fact, I think Brian may have the opposite problem, he might be a little too attached to me.

Don't get me wrong- I know it's such a blessing that he does show his love to me like he does.  My number one most favorite thing in the whole world is to snuggle with both of my boys.  But it's hard to get things done when Brian thinks it's snuggle time ALL the time.

When I'm walking around the house, if I let my guard down, he will literally jump on my back from whatever surface he is on.  That's forty-five pounds coming out of nowhere on to my back.  My back will be thrown out before I'm forty.  If I sit down or lie down anywhere it will only be seconds before he will be right there with me, stroking my face.  He is almost always just a step behind me which can be annoying when I'm doing things like cooking (and dangerous when I'm opening oven doors).  

One of his favorite things to do is come up behind me and put his head up my shirt and then wrap his hands around my waist while I walk around the house, doing my everyday things.  It usually gets a few laughs from Corbin, as he exclaims over how big my butt has become.

I decided to take this up a notch the other night.  As soon as he assumed the position I  took some scarves and tied Brian to myself, one around his shoulders/my waist, and two more around our ankles.  For some reason, he didn't think that was so cool.

Maybe he'll keep the snuggling to the couch for now on....but then again, I think I would be sad if he did, no matter how annoying it can be some days.

7 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

How sweet.

My son has Aspergers and is definately attached to me.

tulpen said...

My special child, though not with Autism, has been clingly like that since he could scoot (he never crawled). And at almost 8 years old? His favorite spot is snuggled up against me, rubbing me and kissing my shoulder.

Annoying and awesome at the same time.

natalee said...

My third ones like that.... lol.. the scarf thing was a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

I love that you made it silly! My kiddo still thinks he should be hauled around like a baby monkey everywhere... can't imagine why (because I haul him around like a baby monkey everywhere, ha)

Nice to "meet" you and your cute boys!

Lynn said...

Audrey is just like that. They love us soooooo much. I would definitely miss it if it was gone.

Jessica said...

My daughter has always been the same, it is funny how people have the misconception that kids with autism are not affectionate. At 15 my daughter is still just as cuddly as she was at 5. They never grow out of it!

tulpen said...

My special child, though not with Autism, has been clingly like that since he could scoot (he never crawled). And at almost 8 years old? His favorite spot is snuggled up against me, rubbing me and kissing my shoulder.

Annoying and awesome at the same time.