Monday, March 5, 2012

They Get It From Me.

It's no secret that I'm a strong believer that both genetics and environmental factors play a role in Brian's autism.

Sometimes, it's blatant that there has to be some sort of genetics.  At least when it comes to the sensory-processing pieces.

Like, when I absolutely have to wear noise-cancelling headphones to do homework (oh yeah, did I mention that I went back to school this semester because I had such a firm handle on my already busy-enough life?) because I can not, for the life of me, filter out the noises in our home.


Thank goodness I have a small enough head to wear the boys'.  Now that's a style I'm not sure will pick up anytime soon.

3 comments:

Lana Rush said...

Isn't it funny how we all have our little sensory "quirks"?  I twist little pieces of my hair around my fingers when I'm on the phone or reading.  And my husband cannot have a conversation without rolling a pen around the desktop or folding pieces of paper into teeny-tiny squares.  

Jen Troester said...

K has those exact headphones in pink...in case you want a more girly color ; ) I have used them before, too. It's really nice to block out all that sound. I totally believe in genetics. I see stuff in Kai and I that is just amplified in K..

Michelle Ritchason said...

I there with you on the concentration with sounds thing.  Also, my son and I both share photo sensitivity, environmental and food allergies (not all the same ones) and a 'need for speed'. :)