Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Autism is Not the Wingman I Envisioned

Recently I decided to stop having my blog automatically syndicated to my own personal facebook page.  I made a little announcement so people would know they had to either "like" the page or connect via blogger to keep up with it.

For the most part, I think people didn't care or notice.  However I did have a few inquiries on why I wasn't going to post them anymore.
Turns out you can share TMI online.  Who knew?

My answer?

I'm dating.

Yup, I'm dating.

In 2011 when you date, right after a guy asks for your digits, he'll ask if you have a facebook.  I'm cool with that.  Until I started to realize these guys that I had newly become "friends" with were now seeing my blog posts go up every day.  They were seeing it all: autism, bowel movements, tantrums, special diets, supplements, money, my tears, my joys, my fears, my cursing.  It's too much to share with someone that you're just getting to know!

Yes, I realize they can probably just google our names and find my blog but in my pretend world I'll pretend they won't do that.  Yes, if any of those friends turn into something more serious they're going to have to learn about autism and all the wonderful things that go along with it.  And all of the not-so-wonderful things too.  And it will be the real test on if they are even relationship-material.  But for now, I'd like to have the chance to scare them away with my own quirks before I add autism into the mix.

7 comments:

tania pesce said...

aww good for you to be dating again! I'm newly single and that scares the shit out of me but I'd say it will be a very very long time before I start to date again anyway :/

Kelly Hafer said...

Oh, man. Interesting challenge. I do hope you post about the dating experience and life as an autism parent. I really think you might be surprised. Then again, I am feeling particularly upbeat right now. Yesterday, I would have had a totally different viewpoint. SO. Regardless of my PMS, good luck!

Steph Curtis said...

so funny. and glad you thought of it!! good luck with the dating :)

The Dragon and The Flower said...

I can so relate! I once made out a dating profile and one of the questions asked for the title of the last book I read. I didn't think "Parenting the Bi Polar Child" or "The Parent's Guide to ADHD" was going to send any man running in the direction I was quite looking for. :-)

Heather said...

Thank you for being upbeat.  That's what I need. Oh, and I'll keep you all updated- how could I pass up such blog-worthy posts?

Heather said...

I thought dating was daunting as a young, single woman.  I thought it was terrifying when I became a single mom.  And after the autism diagnosis- just about impossible.  But hey, it can be fun...and it's a good distraction when the boys are at their Dads on every other weekend.

Dani G said...

ugh. that's it. Just ugh.