Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Hate Spelling.

Wasn't it just a week or two ago I wrote an "I Hate Autism" post.  Damn, I got some really negative vibes going on lately.


Corbin, you are not alone!
Anyhow, I don't really hate spelling.  I kind of enjoy it and I think I'm alright at it (no, you do not need to point out any mistakes I've made previously).  However, I do hate spelling for Corbin's sake.


Tonight was the first night we sat down to practice a spelling list.  I say the words and he tries to spell them back to me.  Should be easy enough?  Wrong.


First of all, he doesn't hear the word I'm saying. 


Me: "Stand."
Corbin: "Stamp?"
Me: "Sssttttaaaannnndddd"
Corbin: "Stan?"
Me: "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDD."
Corbin: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?"
(Okay may have exaggerated with that last one just a bit)


Once he does understand what word I'm saying, if he does at all, he'll then try to spell the word.  However, he still isn't consistent with knowing what sounds certain letters make- ESPECIALLY vowels.  Then if by some miracle he has figured out all of the letters, you better believe his dyslexia will get in there and transpose at least two of them.


Tonight after some drilling he just threw himself on my bed and exclaimed, "I don't get why this is so hard for me!  I can't even seem to hear what it is you are saying!"


I answered back completely nonchalantly, "Well kid throw in some phonological awareness issues, auditory processing deficits, dyslexia, articulation delays, and  poor memory skills...it's no wonder it's a challenge."


He looked up at me with a smile and responded "I have no idea what any of that means but okay, guess I just have to work harder."


Seriously, I am so much in love with this kid.  So many struggles (this doesn't even get into bilateral coordination, muscle tone, sensory issues, possible facial agnosia, and reflex integration) and he just keeps trucking through it all while smiling and making jokes.  Love him. 



2 comments:

Kelly Hafer said...

Hey Heather - I know how frustrating it can be for our kiddos to not understand our words. Oh, God, do I. But, how freaking cool is it that a) he verbally and intellectually recognizes that he processes things differently, and b) he knows he will just have to work harder!
Girl, that is awesome sauce and a bag of chips combined! What a cool kid. Good job, Momma. :)

Karen V. said...

One of the best tricks I know to help with spelling is to make up a song for the spelling.  The tune with the letters can help remember the spelling - Hope it helps!  :)