Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Got Your Back, Max.

If you are connected, in any shape or form, to the autism community than I am guessing you have seen and read the horrific anonymous letter that was delivered to the family of a child with autism.  When I first saw it in my news feed I was certain it was a fake.  However, I quickly found the news story and my heart sank with the reality. 

To Max's family,

I can't imagine what it felt like to hold that letter in your hands and read those words about your child.  My heart broke for you and I cried tears for you.  I cried tears for my son.  I cried tears for humanity.

Please share this image created by the National Autism Association
I just want you to know that that individual is a minority in this world.  I have to believe that.  For every one like that there are thousands wanting to express their love and acceptance with you.  Don't put any stock in her words.  Choose to listen instead to the outpouring of support that I have witnessed through all the social medias.

I have never met Max but I can tell you that he is a beautiful boy.  He has a kind soul that has probably never known hate for a single person.  He finds joy in the simplest of things and really appreciates those things and people that he loves.  I watched him giving high fives to the members of your community and his happiness exuded so much that I laughed on the other side of this screen.  My boy does the same exact jump and flap when he's excited.  Max's worth shouldn't be questioned ever.  His ability to love and accept and not hate makes his place in this world so much more important than the perpetrator of this hate crime (because that's what this is).

You are doing an amazing job as a family, it is clear in the joy that Max was radiating.  Stay strong and remember that you have an entire amazing supportive autism community that has your back.

Love,
Heather, fellow autism mother


No comments: