Monday, December 13, 2010

Hot Dog Casserole

It sparked so much interest in my last posting, that it deserved it's own post!

My Dad was a single Dad when my brother and I were little and I always try to give him kudos for working long hours, taking care of us, cooking, cleaning, teaching, and playing. I never remember him being cranky or tired though I'm sure he had to have been.

One of his cuisines he made on the regular was his hot dog casserole. It was something he could make on a budget and something my brother and I would eat without complaint. It's super simple and it's become one of those recipes I fall back on when I'm tired or the kids want a "movie night".

I don't have exact measurements but it's cooked rotini pasta, hot dogs cut up, an onion chopped up, and mozzarella cheese. Mix it all together in a casserole dish. Cut a stick of butter over the top (or use some safflower oil like we do now!), sprinkle garlic powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs over the top. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.

Classic kid fare. And at least it has an onion in it, so it's not all bad. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

4 comments:

Christina said...

That actually sounds pretty good! LOL

Lynn said...

No offense, but that kinda made me sick. Could have more to do with the crap that I've been gorging on for the past 48 hours than your recipe though.

Karla said...

: ) Your story made me smile.

Hot dogs make me frown. >:(

Karla said...

: ) Your story made me smile.

Hot dogs make me frown. >:(