Thursday, December 4, 2008

When it comes to fighting autism, maybe we should send in the army

According to this article by David Kirby, the Department of Defense is now saying that the DTaP shot may be related to autism. I am astounded right now. I think I should be happy that this announcement is being made by a federal department but I actually feel very angry. This is the shot that I've always believed to be Brian's final pull of the trigger. It's three shots in one to begin with- usually accompanied with one or two other immunizations at the same time- so a total of four-five live viruses being put into your baby that hasn't developed a full immune system yet. When I wrote out a timeline of Brian's regression and then requested his immunization record and put the two together it showed that 2-3 weeks after his first DTap was when he first started banging his head, all the time- he just seemed so angry and upset, and he was just a little baby, it stopped eventually and things seemed to get back on track- we kind of forgot about the whole head banging time when he started walking, laughing, waving, talking, hamming it up ALL the time- loving being the center of attention. Then 2-3 weeks after his next one he slowly started slipping away again- that time, never fully coming back (yet!!!)...
I want to cry- I know if this goes public and it becomes common knowledge it is so great for all those future families and children but what about mine. What about the thousands of others that have already been diagnosed with autism, that have already slipped away from their parents, those who have mommys crying for their "lost" child every night...What about us? What about Brian?


A lot of other points made in the documents that are really common knowledge to me, to Michelle, to Ginger, to Rebecca, to all those other Moms & Dads I know and talk to- Children who have adverse reactions should avoid multiple vaccinations (fevers, not sleeping or sleeping too much, febrile seizures, just not acting themselves); patients who have neurlogical diseases should not get further vaccinations; mercury & thimersol may be linked to autism (huh? what? never!); alternative biomedical approaches may be used to address exposure to mercury........

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I was really surprised by my responce...like you I thought I would be happy the first time the government finally admidts one of their precious shots causes autism...and was SHOCKED when I wasn't happy..., honestly I never expected to see them admidt it in our lifetime...it's too costly, then they'd be liable for all these medical bills we're stuck w/...not to mention damages and all that other legal crap that means $ out of their pocket. So maybe I never prepared myself to actually see it in my life time. I am happy, maybe this will get the Dr.'s off people's backs who choose not to vaccinate their children. But like you I morn for the child I lost. Our life could have been picture perfect...we should have had 3 beautiful healthy children...we did everything we were suppossed to do, and THEY broke my baby! Our life is in tourmoil because of them, and I want to lay on the floor and have a meltdown right beside my son for what they did to him!

Sally JPA said...

That is a heart-rending post.

the veggie paparazzo said...

That is a heart-rending post.