Sunday, November 16, 2008

Update on Sedation











I'm sorry it's taken me sooooo long to update- I've had a few people write asking how it went, so I apologize!

So we left our house a little after five in the morning, I waited and got Brian out of bed just seconds before leaving hoping he'd sleep the hour and a half ride to the hospital but he was wide awake and just in the best mood! I thought the morning would be awful as he wasn't allowed to eat breakfast and of course the night before he fell asleep RIGHT before dinner and there was NO WAY to wake him up. He was OUT. So no breakfast and no dinner. But like I said he was just smiling from ear to ear- the whole ride- like he thought we were going on a private adventure- just Mommy & Brian.

When we arrived in the hospital he walked all the way in by himself (a big accomplishment because he thinks he needs to be carried everywhere). We went in, he waited so well while we registered, followed a volunteer who showed us to the pediatric sedation wing while thoroughly looking around everywhere, soaking in his surroundings- another BIG thing. We opened the door to the wing, he walked in ahead of me, found the nurse, looked at her and said "Hi" before she said anything to him. He seemed so big to me and wise beyond his years. Later when the nurse was putting on the numbing cream he was becoming quite antsy and I made a comment about "one of his many autistic traits" and the nurse looked at me and said "He's autistic? I would've never known the way he said hi and made eye contact with me!" It felt so good to hear her say that.

A few minutes later I think she got a clear picture of his autism. He was soon stimming out on a train in the waiting room- after just barely evading a tantrum because he couldn't find the engine to the cars and of course that was not okay. We found it- phew. He did okay with the weight & height- a little cranky about doing it but not too bad compared to other doctors' visits we've been on.
They did do the IV while he was awake. That was hard. I hold to hold him on my lap and it took three other adults as well to help do the IV. He cried but I think the tears were more from just the discomfort of being held down and the tape around the IV than the actually poking. They got it in on the first poke thankfully. Afterwards he kept pointing to it and saying "ow" or "boo boo". A little sad but oh so cute when he uses his words appropriately!

The unit was SO great there- I was able to HOLD Brian while he recieved his IV meds to be put to sleep, he fell asleep in my arms. We were in the same room for the whole routine and I was allowed to stay in the room for the entire procedure. I did leave at one point to grab a bite to eat and buy Brian an Elmo balloon from the gift shop. The procedure went well- his hearing is fine. I suspected it would be but it is nice to just know and not question it any more. He woke up fine from the procedure- devoured his apple and scrambled eggs and then decided to lounge around the bed. I kept asking if he was ready to go and he kept replying, "nooooooo". The nurses were great and said we could stay as long as we wanted but after about an hour of this, I was SO ready to go. I stopped asking and started telling.

I dressed him and got all of our stuff together- two bags, Thomas blanket, a PECS book that wouldn't fit in a bag, and the Elmo balloon. We went into the hall of the pediatric wing and he threw himself on the floor. The nurse looked at me like what is going on here? She asked if I needed help, ever the stubborn fool that I am said no and held his hand and pulled him out of the wing. About 15 steps down the hall he pried his hand out of mine and purposely ran into the wall. I haven't seen him throw himself into a wall in months & months. He came over and said "Up". I picked him up. I tried to carry him- but with all that stuff and his 38-pound body all bundled up was just too much. I couldn't do it. I put him down, squeezed him, endured a few stares from different people walking by. Thought he calmed down, grabbed his hand and walked some more. He kept screaming, crying, trying to get loose of my grip- luckily at that point we came to a lounge-area. We sat down, him on my lap, sucking his thumb, me trying to soothe him. He was quiet- I talked to him about how I needed him to walk. We made it down the stairs and out the door before the screams began again. At this point I again tried to carry him- made it into the parking garage but told him he NEEDED to walk. Of course we were parked at the opposite end of the garage because when we arrived in the morning I wasn't sure where I needed to be. If I was smart I would've moved the car while he was in the procedure but no room for thinking about "what ifs".

By the time we got to the car, I was ready to cry. I wanted to pull my hair out. I wanted to throw the towel in. Brian was still crying, I'm sure feeding off of my energy at this point as well. I buckled him in, I got in the car, and we just sat there for a while. Him sobbing and me just breathing. I got it together, gave him all his favorite things- Tings, Knuffle bear, trains, and some juice. It took him about twenty minutes into the ride home to calm down.

I haven't seen a fit of that magnitude in a while. Was it effects from the sedation? Or just a day that had no routines in it too much for him? Who knows? I wish I did.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad the sedation itself went well, I'm sorry for the meltdown afterwords, I feel your pain and frustration!!!

Christina said...

((((Brian and Momma)))) I've been checking everyday for news...glad he came through it well and his hearing is fine! I bet it was just the change in routine, hope he is doing better now!

Michelle said...

Colorful Kielbasa is one of our favorite pre GF/CF meals, that I just figured out how to make GF/CF...so I'm excited to try it! I'm posting the recipe now if you wanna check it out!

minivan driving soccermom said...

Colorful Kielbasa is one of our favorite pre GF/CF meals, that I just figured out how to make GF/CF...so I'm excited to try it! I'm posting the recipe now if you wanna check it out!

Christina said...

((((Brian and Momma)))) I've been checking everyday for news...glad he came through it well and his hearing is fine! I bet it was just the change in routine, hope he is doing better now!